Sunday, April 24, 2005

Do you eat crawfish?

P and I went to a crawfish boil last night that this attorney firm was putting on that services both of our employers, and it was a lot of fun. It's the second time we have gone, and I ate tons and tons of crawfish. They boil them and season them and then serve them with boiled potatoes and corn on the cob, and it's just an awesome, awesome treat. We had a blast.

But what was curious to me was overhearing all the conversations around me debating whether or not you eat crawfish. There were quite a few hoity-toity attorney's wives there who were just sitting there, smoking, and berating those of us who chose to eat those disgusting "insects" by pulling off the tail, peeling off the shell, and popping in the inside fish. I've heard them called mudbugs before, but I've never heard someone refer to them as insects. For goodness sakes, in my mind, they really aren't much different from shrimp...they just happen to reside in creeks and rivers rather than in oceans. What's the big deal?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So my question to you today is, do you eat crawfish? If not, why not? Do you think it is disgusting?

Other than my outing last night out to eat lots of disgusting insects, I don't have much to report other than we have no food in the house. Not even milk for cereal. We are going out today to do major grocery shopping at Kroger's, and then when I get home, probably some laundry. I'm hoping that I can talk P into stopping at Home Depot as well. Sharon bought our weight set, and as soon as it is gone out of that room, we are going to clean it up really well, replace the baseboards, paint it, put up a wallpaper border (Finding Nemo!), put on new closet doors, and replace the blinds. I can't wait. It's going to be great! Then, we'll start working on the dresser and getting that ready. I need to have somewhere to put all of my baby stuff. Right now it's just still sitting in bags and boxes on the floor. This is the Finding Nemo wallpaper border that I found that I want. If I can't find it at Home Depot, then I'm going to order it online. And I think painting my walls Dory-bluey would be perfect.

I stitched a lot yesterday. For some reason, I couldn't fall asleep until around 3 am, so I worked diligently on Noah's Sub and then finished up my ten hours on Angel Procession. I figure I'd post a pic of Angel Procession since all you've been seeing for the last three weeks is Noah's Sub. Nice change of scenery! I honestly don't know if I'm going to finish by the end of June. If I had to guess right now, I'd say probably not. By the end of summer? Definitely. Thank goodness my new framer is super-fast! We'll just see how it goes.

Last week was my first week with my new boss. So far, it's going okay. Just okay. As much as I was ready for Queenie to hit the road, I really miss her now. Our new supervisor is...well, let's just say he's a tad overwhelmed right now, and I'm not the only member of my team who has noticed. I know he's trying his best right now, but I'm waiting days for approvals that Queenie would have had done in hours, and it's quite annoying. But I'm going to be patient and just let it go...and let him adjust. Not only is he new to supervising the fire team, he's also new to our company too, and I just need to cut him some slack. The other thing he's doing that's annoying is questioning my judgement on scopes. For example, if I feel like the attics are hard to manuever in, I usually agree to drop the ceiling drywalls to get the insulation out of the attic, and he was like, "Why are you doing that?" I was totally taken aback, because I had that discussion MANY TIMES with Queenie and she always made it crystal clear to me that it was my discretion, my judgement, and that if I felt it was necessary, it should be done. So this guy now coming in and asking why I felt it was necessary, and continuing to question it even after I explained my reasonings, just rubs me the wrong way. P continually reminds me that Queenie did the same thing when she came along, and I'm sure she did, but it's been SUCH a long time I don't remember how annoying it was!

Anyway, that's what's going on with me at the moment. This week will be fairly busy with work, lunch meetings, a couple of classes, and then next Saturday, I am going to a retreat outside of Fort Worth with my friend T to stitch all day, so that'll be fun.

As for right now, I'm off to post the Sunday Brunch and then scrounge for something (ANYTHING!?) to eat. Have a great rest of the weekend.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mindy said...

Holy crow! I just read a blog entry from a guy who made a sign about how God says not to eath crawfish, then I came here and read your post LOL! It was a joke on his part, here's the link:

http://www.netcynic.com/?p=758

I warn you that some of the real signs may be disturbing, but his blog entry is great :)

12:24 PM  
Blogger Erin (moviemuse) said...

I don't eat them, simply because I don't like peeling them. I don't eat shrimp I have to peel either. Closest I come is shrimp with the tails still on. I don't eat anything that too strongly resembles it's "live" state. LOL

1:25 PM  
Blogger Suz said...

I absolutely LOVE mudbugs!!!

Bring on the boils! The spicier the better!

We line up at huge tables and just suck them down. The only conversation is whether or not to suck the head. I don't - that's time I can spend eating another 'bug!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I adore crawfish also. But then again, I also eat shrimp and lobster.

I wonder if the snooty women also knew lobster were insects? Probably would have blown their minds!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Sher said...

UGH. I don't care for shellfish of any kind so crawfish are definitely out for me.

Your Angel Procession is looking absolutely stunning!!!

3:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm from New Orleans. I definitely eat crawfish. I think of them as crustaceans. It sounds a lot nicer than bug. Whatever though. they are yummy. The spicier the better.

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, I eat crawfish. We take the kids up to the lake and fish for them and then boil them on the bank. It's a great family outing and everyone has fun. Although one of the kids prefers to eat the chicken that we use for crawdad bait.

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home