Thursday, April 28, 2005

One of life's mysteries

So tonight, Dubya gets on the tube and talks for an hour or so about the energy bill and some other stuff that I half-listened to from the confines of my office.

CBS, being the considerate network that they are, postponed Survivor AND CSI until Dubya was done.

Did NBC have the same courtesy? Heck no. So I missed a brand-new episode of ER...and considering how SELDOM those new episodes are, I was not happy. I don't have Tivo or any of those new contraptions, so I didn't record it for later watching.

Two things I will NEVER understand about NBC...why they don't take things like that into consideration, and why they insist on running a month of reruns to every one show during the season. I just don't get it. Oh, well. I'm sure CSI was much better than ER anyway, and I was very very sad to see Stephanie get booted off tonight. SHE is the true Survivor. Stephanie, you rock.

I don't have a whole lot to report. I have managed to be very good this week and eat in every night for dinner except one night, I have seriously kept the junk to a very threadbare minimum and ate healthy snacks like fruit, salads, sugar-free Jello, and I've even managed to drink a fair share of water. Weight is still staying the same...yay.

But MAN, am I starting to look pregnant. From the back, I look fine. From the front, fine. From the side, I have a belly. It feels like it sticks out more and more every day. P of course thinks I'm being silly and it's not that far out there, but he is agreeing that I have a very cute pregnant little belly.

One thing that did not go very well this week was work. I'm not getting along very well with my new supervisor. I'm going to try to keep this summary extremely clean. I've been reading Dooce lately (see blogroll) and it's this girl that actually was fired from her job a few years back for writing stuff in her blog about her work. (And by the way, her blog is HILARIOUS!) Granted, I don't think my company cares very much since I don't name it by name and don't get into specifics, but I don't want to tempt fate. For example, listing the name here that I've given this new guy probably wouldn't be a good idea. Ha! Anyway, to sum up, after about ten days of being extremely patient, I decided that I had had quite enough of having my judgement questioned, the very foundation of how I have done my job for the last two years shaken, and worst of all, my performance threatened because this guy is slow. My performance is judged very much on how quickly I pay claims, and when I can't pay claims because I'm waiting for days on end for this guy to review my files, it doesn't look good. I finally broke down on Wednesday, called him and told him how much it was bothering me, and how if he doesn't make me look good, I can't make him look good. He of course got extremely defensive, tried to blame others, got pissy (I had forgotten what working for a male boss was like...it's been almost seven years), and then after we hung up, got his patooty in gear and started working my files.

The end clearly justified the means, but I hate having to resort to tactics like that. He made it pretty clear in our conversation that he thought I was overreacting and getting upset over nothing, which kind of bugged me considering that we are talking about MY JOB here. I know it's not the end all, but it is my career, I take it seriously, and he should too considering that how I perform affects his performance rating as well. I warned him before I started reporting to him that I am HIGH MAINTENANCE! I don't think he quite believed me until this week. He he he.

The other thing that he does that bugs me is that he is a phone person and not an emailer. Queenie was an emailer. We would go days sometimes without talking on the phone...all our communication would be electronically through our claims system or through email. This guy prefers to just pick up the phone and call me when he has something to say or ask. *sigh* It's going to take some getting used to. The day that I laid down the law with him, he called me about seven times to ask questions.

Anyway, that's all I'm going to say about how this week went. The rants and raves I had with my girlfriends at work were not even a glimmer of that clean. I'm still trying to hold out hopes that this is just a normal adjustment period and it will get better. Only time will tell.

On to a more happier subject. I get to spend the day tomorrow with P! Granted, we are going to a continuing education class in Arlington, so it IS work, but it's still a day I get to spend with him and get paid at the same time. How can that be a bad thing, right? The class is a day long and it is on fire damage restoration in the morning and residential structures in the afternoon. PERFECT for me. It is so rare that I ever find a continuing ed class that actually appeals to me. Most of them are about personal bodily injury and tort reform and stuff that just doesn't appeal to me, but this one is right up my alley! The only bad thing is that we have to leave the house tomorrow at 7:45 am. That's REALLY darn early. This of course means I'm going to have to hit the sack in probably about an hour or so so I don't wake up tomorrow feeling like I was hit by a train.

Saturday...going to a stitching retreat for the day. Sunday...working on the third bedroom. It doesn't officially become the nursery until we have it painted and the border up. Sharon's husband D and a friend came to pick up the weight set tonight so the room is now occupied by only my treadmill (which is staying in there), some loose free weights, and my dumbbell rack. And of course, the numerous piles of junk all over the floor. It's going to be a jobbie cleaning it out, that's for sure. That's my task for Sunday! Along with laundry, cleaning the house, vacuuming, sweeping...ugh, am I sure I'm ready to be a mom? I guess it's too late now!

TGIF!

4 Comments:

Blogger Erin (moviemuse) said...

Sorry the new boss isn't getting with it yet. Hang in there; I hope it gets better. And thank you for introducing me to Dooce. OMG, I think my sides are going to split! Particularly the post about Leta feeding the dog. I literally had tears pouring down my face, I was laughing so hard!!!

11:02 PM  
Blogger Autumn said...

I think they say if you look pregnant only from the side that means you're having a boy. I never had one so I don't know if that's really true or not. I always looked pregnant all over. LOL

6:13 AM  
Blogger Christine S said...

OMG, I've heard about Dooce, but never read the entries!! Yeah, not a good idea to read the entry about Leta and the dog while sitting in your office. I'm sure my officemates thought I was crazy for giggling at the computer monitor!!!

I heard that if you carry your pregnancy high up, it's a girl, and if you carry low, it's a boy. From what I've seen (and I haven't known that many pregnant women), it seems to be true!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Mindy said...

My sympathies about work. I used to work for a guy like that, too and it was so frustrating! Maybe your phonecall will help for the long term as well as the short term. I hope so :)

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home