Monday, June 27, 2005

We don't own the house, THE HOUSE OWNS US!

The last 36 hours since I last blogged have been somewhat chaotic.

So, I've alluded to this air conditioning saga that has gone on for the entire month of June, yes? Well, it finally came to a head this weekend after P and I had to cancel THREE THINGS that we had scheduled this weekend in order to be here while the air conditioning repairman spent another two days here trying to figure out what is wrong with the brand-new system we just bought. We had dinner plans Saturday night...canceled. We had an appointment with a flooring store to pick our vinyl for our kitchen yesterday...canceled. And we were going to hit Lowe's for our mega-shopping trip...canceled. Instead, we spent ALL day yesterday at home, sweating, while this idiot worked on our system. And being on edge as we both are, we got into a huge fight yesterday morning after I walked the dogs about the state of our house. (Don't worry, everything's fine now.)

Today, I woke up after not sleeping well at all to a house that was 85 degrees. The air conditioning guy did NOT believe me...until he hooked up our thermostat and saw for himself that yes, it was indeed 85 degrees in here. He was supposed to be here at noon to start repairs. When 1 pm came and he still wasn't here, I decided I had had enough and called him on his cell. I'll spare you the details, but it was NOT pretty. Moral of the story...do NOT take a pregnant woman's air conditioner away for almost an entire month in summer in Texas and expect her to be polite and nice to you. It just doesn't work. He finally left this afternoon after replacing the wiring to our thermostat, and yes, the house is MUCH cooler now. Our target temperature is 71 degrees, and after starting at 85 this morning, the house is now 76. I am praying that I come home tomorrow from work to a house that is 71 and not 85 again.

But today was quite a miserable day at work. I was tired, hot, tired of eating out, tired of not drying my hair, and my feet were hot ALL day. It was just miserable.

But P and I have reached a crossroads in this home remodeling journey and tonight we were BOTH productive. He finished painting the ceramic tile surround in the hall bath, reinstalled the master closet light fixture and installed this ironing board thingy that we bought at Target for the utility room that will hold our ironing board, iron, spray bottle and starch. As for me, well, I started to paint the master bedroom with the goal in mind of "just doing one wall", and now...all of the walls are done and about half of the ceiling. I just hit a hot streak. At first, I was like, "this is stupid" because we're painting it exactly the same color and do you KNOW how hard it is to repaint a room exactly the same color? It's VERY hard. You can't tell where you've painted and not painted! But then P walked in and said, "Wow! What a difference a coat of paint makes!" At first, I thought he was kidding, and when I realized that he was serious, I stepped back and looked at it, and he was right...it really cleaned up the walls and brightened them up. I didn't realize how dirty our walls were and how gouged up and icky they were until I repainted them. I'm glad now that I did...I think that if I hadn't, the crown molding would have made them look VERY dingy.

The bad thing is that I am running out of paint. Quickly. *sigh* I'm going to stop by Lowe's tomorrow and pick up another quart of semi-gloss and another gallon of flat. If I'm not too tired from my fire tomorrow, I'm going to finish it up and then move all the stuff back into position Wednesday night. P's plan for tomorrow is to do the vinyl tile floor in the bathroom and install the baseboards.

We'll see how far we get.

And still nothing from the contractor on the kitchen. I'm going to threaten him with death soon if he doesn't call me with cabinet options!!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Commiserate on the cooler thing...only I was without one for only a little over a week.

Hot feet? Make a fabric bag about 8 x 12 inches. Fill with rice. Stick in the freezer. Let it stay there for several hours. Take out and lay on feet. WONDERFUL! I have two so there is always a "cold one" available!

Lizzie
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chain3turn/my_photos
http://www.livejournal.com/users/samplerlady/
http://literarylady.blogspot.com/
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong." Joseph Chilton Pierce

7:00 AM  
Blogger Suz said...

I feel your pain about the house remodel.

But BOY are you making me happy that we got the inspector to rail about the AC before we moved and they replaced it with a new unit. I got nothing good done yesterday except for installing a new electric-programmable thermostat. I think our Lowes run is this weekend.

Happy Home-Remodelling!

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home