Saturday, May 06, 2006

Why is a woman never satisfied?

This is the question that has stumped my husband for years. He's still wearing the same wedding band from the day we got married. It's been resized once.

Me, on the other hand....I have made a wee bit of changes.

We got married and I had a plain yellow gold setting with baguettes on the sides of a small round diamond for my engagement ring and a channel-set anniversary band for my wedding band.

Then, probably in about the year 2001 or so, I decided I didn't like my setting anymore. We went back to the same jewelry store where he got my engagement ring and traded in the stone for a bigger diamond a little more than twice the size (and a better quality one) set in a yellow gold Tiffany-setting. No baguettes.

Then, in 2003 after I lost all my weight, I went back to the same jewelry store yet again (the Dallas Jewelry Exchange loves me) and had both my solitaire setting and my wedding band resized. I also bought a plain simple white gold band to wear when I was working fires.

When I reached about four or five months of pregnancy, my fingers swelled so much that I could not wear my wedding rings anymore. It was just too uncomfortable. At about six months, my fire ring wouldn't fit either.

And here we are, about a year later and six months after I delivered McKenna, and I still can't get the rings on my finger without really working them on. Granted, I still have about thirty pounds of pregnancy weight to go, I admit, but darn it, I'm sick and tired of not wearing my wedding rings!!! I love my solitaire and I want to wear it!

So today, I decided that I had put it off long enough. We went back to the Dallas Jewelry Exchange again. This time I decided I was ready to switch my settings to white gold since all the jewelry I wear is silver. We bought a simple thick setting for my diamond with a small heart below the mount. I was going to buy a thin white gold band (a new one) to be my permanent ring, but the only one that looked good with the solitaire setting was an exact replica of my fire ring, although not as scratched as mine of course.

So my fire ring, the new setting, and my old Tiffany-setting with the diamond are at the store being worked on right now. My ring size has gone up from about a 7 1/2 to an 8. They are going to buff and polish my fire ring so it looks brand-new again...and now it won't go on fires. I get to pick them up tomorrow. I can't wait! It's a combination birthday present and Mother's Day gift.

And I made sure and asked the jeweler who was going to resize the ring if the setting would accomodate a bigger diamond in the future. P just rolled his eyes at that. Hello, tenth anniversary!

As for the resizing since I'm sure once I'm finished breastfeeding I'll lose more weight, I decided that I'm just going to hang tight with the size that my fingers are right now (they were a 9 when I was really heavy) and after I've finished having children and have lost my pregnancy weight once and for all, I'll take them back in then and have them resized for the last time.

At least, that's the plan. I guess if that doesn't work out, I'll just get another setting!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

How long have you been married Moira?

3:00 AM  
Blogger AndieB said...

Not to worry... I have change rings twice and we have only been married since November 2005!

4:16 PM  
Blogger Shondratasha said...

I switched to a single band for my 10th anniversary. Same diamond though.

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home