Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Greetings from Lake Palestine!

After a very frazzled morning, we made it! And I have learned many lessons today about traveling with dogs, which, I have found out, is about as troublesome as traveling as kids...at least, I would think it would be.

Moira's Top Tips for Traveling with Dogs

1) Make sure you have your current rabies certificate, eliminating the need for a last-minute phone call to the vet pleading with them to fax them to you.
2) Make sure you have your city tags current, eliminating the need to stop at the animal shelter on the way out.
3) Make sure you have your ID tags current, eliminating the need to stop at PetSmart and get new ones made!

Right. So, we pulled out of our house at 12:10, and an hour and a half later, we had still not left the city limits of Dallas. Plus, P underestimated the drive here by about an hour. It was okay though...we got here, checked in, and Katie and Simon had plenty of time to explore and swim. Then, we left, went to the grocery store (albeit, a poor excuse for one) and came back. My husband informed me after being in that grocery store with me that he will never invite me ever ever ever to accompany him hunting. I'm not sure if it was my moping because they didn't have fat-free mayonnaise, my whining over the lack of any herbal tea, or my disgust at their meat selection that did it. Don't even get me started on the piss-poor produce selection! What I have learned about shopping in a small-town grocery store...healthy, fat-free, unprocessed food just does not exist. We really should have planned a little better before we came. I'm trying to not worry about it and remember that I'm on vacation and that indulging for a day or two is not going to kill me, but it's hard! I made spaghetti tonight for the first time in almost two years...it's a miracle that I remembered how to make it. And obviously I didn't remember how stuffed and full eating pasta as the main dish makes me feel!

The place where we are staying though is divine...we are definitely going to schedule a longer stay here at some point now that we know what it's like up here. The dogs are in heaven. They love swimming, and the lake is so close to our front door of our cabin, we could literally throw a rock and hit it. We had to really settle down tonight and make sure that they knew it was quiet time tonight so they would sleep...I don't feel like practicing any of my lifeguard moves on a dog tomorrow, that's for sure. And that is why I'm hanging out on the computer. They told us they had satellite in the cabins, but neglected to mention that they don't subscribe to any of the premium channels, and neglected to mention that they have a VCR and a DVD player in here. Ah, well. Like I said, we'll know so much better how to prepare next time. All I can say is, I'm glad I brought my laptop and my stitching, and I know P is glad that he brought his Playstation.

One of the memes for today fits SO great in with our little adventure. Even though this cabin is fantastically furnished and floored with linoleum, do you know what a pain it is bathing two Labradors? And do you know how much hair and water they put off onto the floor? Ugh. And we didn't bring enough towels to dry them with. Another lesson learned. Anyway, one of the new memes that I found is called Homework: A Household Meme...and even though I'm not really great at housework and my house is pretty much a disaster about 99.9% of the time, I still thought it'd be a fun one to do.

Pets: are they worth the added housework? How much extra work around the house (besides the work required for their regular care) do your pets create for you? Do, or did, you factor in housework when deciding to get a pet? Do the benefits outweight the headches, at least on most days?

In one word, YES. I would not trade any of my pets for anything. Granted, I will never have the cleanest house on the block, it will never be featured in a magazine or anything like that, and I will always have to dust off the seat of my pants after getting up off the couch, but I love my dogs and my cats, and they are completely worth the extra housework. My pets don't create as much added housework as you would think...really floor maintenance is all. We fill up our vacuum canister at least twice when we vacuum, sweeping is a daily event at least, and our cats love to leave us coughed up furballs quite a bit. I did not factor in the housework at all when deciding to get our pets. I just got them and accepted the reality that my house will never be spic and span clean.

And of course, the Wednesday Matinee...what I wouldn't give for a movie right now. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with watching my husband play his Tiger Woods PS game.

1. A Bug's Life vs Antz: who wins? Antz all the way. Did you SEE how incredibly organized the ants were in that movie?! I loved it! And granted, ants can't talk, but they are organized in real life and I thought that was neat.
2. What food or drink do you wish they would serve at the theater? I wish that the theaters would serve iced tea rather than their endless selection of soda. I know why they don't...soda is cheaper and doesn't spoil as quickly...but I prefer iced tea 10 to 1 over soda.
3. Who's your favorite female actor of all time? Charlize Theron. That woman can act. She has such incredible range. I hated Monster, but I was so impressed with how she pulled it off. It definitely took a strong actress to play that role!
~This Movie Is Rated PG: "Please Go see it", Bonus~ Up to now, what movie do you think would win best movie for 2004? I have not seen The Passion of the Christ, and I suspect that if I had, I would say that would. I can't wait to see it. I deliberately wanted to wait until it came out on DVD to see it so I could see it in the privacy of my home. But, since I have not seen it and can only go by what movies I have seen, I think The Butterfly Effect would be my choice. I thought that movie was incredible!

I guess that's all I've got for today. I have a whole pack of batteries for my camera, and I'll be snapping pictures like crazy of the kids, so come back tomorrow if you'd like to see these two in action. We've affectionately nicknamed them "Otter" and "Seal".

2 Comments:

Blogger Kiwi Jo said...

The lake and cabin sound like a wonderful place for a vacation - for both humans and doggies! I have to say I'm a little jealous as I get ready to head off to work! Hope you have a wonderful time and I look forward to seeing pictures of "Otter" and "Seal".

3:33 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Erica, you've hurt my feelings! LOL Lake Palestine is one of the places DH and I have been looking to retire. And there's plenty of healthy foodstuff (including meat) there, you just have to grow it yourself, like everyone else in that area! Hugs...have a great time :)

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home