Tuesday, December 14, 2004

What would it take for you to throw someone out of your home?

That's the question I've been asking myself ALL NIGHT. Why, you ask?

Because one of my customers for the first time since I've been an adjuster actually threw me out of his home. I've been working in the field for almost four years, and I was told to get the h-e-double-toothpicks out of his house. I was in such disbelief for the first hour after it happened, I told the guy at Subway that it happened, and his response: "Well, I guess he didn't like the way you adjusted his claim." (He knew what I did because I had my company's jacket on.)

That's an understatement. I wasn't pleased with my insurance adjuster when he denied our foundation claim a few years ago to the tune of $8,500 that we had to pay OUT of our pocket to keep our house from breaking in two, but I never dreamed in a million years of throwing him out of our home. I knew he was doing his job. Just like I was doing today.

It's a mystery. And it's a shock to me and a blow to my ego. I am the highest ranked adjuster in our office for customer service, and then I get thrown out of someone's home? Because I won't give him a blank check? WHY WHY WHY? I wanted to ask this guy how he would feel if someone spoke to his DAUGHTER the way he spoke to me. Maybe I'll get the chance if he calls to grovel, which isn't likely.

Anyway. Work is keeping me super busy, which I have to say is kind of a relief because it really keeps me from dwelling, which I haven't really been doing much of, to be honest. I'm sad, but nothing like I was last week at all. It's kind of just matter-of-fact now. It happened, I'm fine, and being pregnant the next time will never be as idyllic and special as it was the first time, but the point is that I WILL get pregnant again. I did get all three of my structure estimates done this weekend, which was SUCH a relief, and the pressure of work is starting to lift, which is nice. And the two glasses of wine I had when I got home sure did take the edge off how hurt I was about being thrown out of a home.

I got an email about an hour ago from one of the supervisors at work asking for volunteers to do pager duty the week of Christmas, and even though I know I'm going to regret it, I volunteered. I'm going to be working like a mad dog next week anyway, and it's worth $100, so why not? It'll put me well on my way to my next Dooney!

So, that's about the most exciting thing going on in my life at the moment. Drama!

12 Comments:

Blogger Christine S said...

Sounds like the guy is just a huge jerk, Erica. Try not to give it anymore thought. You know you do your job well, so don't worry about the one guy who seems to think he knows how to do it better than you. He's not the adjustor, you are! It drives me crazy when people think that just because they don't know someone that they can speak to them in a rude manner.

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If there is one thing he will learn out of this whole expereience is not to piss off your adjustor. ;) What a jerk. Let it roll off your back. You were just doing your job. {{Erica}} --Kari

6:41 AM  
Blogger Suz said...

Wait... he got mad that someone from insurance wouldn't leave him a blank cheque. A *blank* cheque? Good lord. If someone left me a blank cheque I think I'd have to sleep with them ;)

I'm sorry you had a bad day. I'm glad it got a little better. ;)

I hope I get thrown out of someone's house someday :p (ok, not really. sort of... well, you know what I mean).

8:59 AM  
Blogger Belinda said...

{{{Erica}}} Sorry you had to deal with a jerk. Throwing someone out of your house is just uncool, and should only be reserved for extreme cases, like the person threatening one's family.

I can see someone being frustrated with an adjuster (after the hurricanes, a LOT of people here are frustrated by insurance companies and that seems to carry over to adjusters) but I think people also need to learn to be patient....

10:47 AM  
Blogger Thermalgal said...

Yup, what a jerk. I just wanted to comment that maybe being on call next week might be a good thing. And I agree that dwelling on it isn't good. But also ignoring it isn't also. It sounds like you've found the right place between the two to heal your grief.

I've been able to hear the grief in your posts for the past week or so and it sounds like emotionally things are starting to get better (sort of on the upswing). And I'm really glad to hear... read... that.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Kiwi Jo said...

Like everyone else said - what a jerk. Don't let him get to you.

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, he's a huge jerk. Forget about him, unfortunately there are quite a lot of them out there.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

2:07 PM  
Blogger Scully said...

Erica, that is so rude! You have every right to be upset. He may have been frustrated but that's no excuse for bad manners.
I get called all sorts of derogatory names by my 'customers' at work, and I don't like it so I know where you are coming from.
Take reward in the fact that you know you don't deserve it.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Mia said...

Erica, I am sitting here shaking my head. I can't believe the gall of some people. Everyone else (myself included) is right... the guy is a jerk. I wouldn't worry about it. He isn't worth it. Hmph...blank check. Like ANYONE would do that!!!!!

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What would it take for me to kick you out of my home? Well, if you kicked my pet, tracked in muddy feet on my off white carpet, started cussing and insulting my spouse, maybe come on to me, start going through my frig and helping yourself to my food - I might kick you out!

4:13 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Well, I can assure you that I did NONE of that to this guy! :-)

5:47 PM  
Blogger Valerie (grvlgal) said...

I actually kicked someone out of my home, but they weren't an insurance adjuster trying to do their job (or anyone else trying to do their job for that matter). A friend of DH's offered an unsolicited opinion about my insistence that DH go through & thin out the boxes in the attic as there were so many of them I couldn't maneuver to put something under the drips until the roofer could get there.....as proven by the fact that I fell through our bedroom ceiling! The bruises were still healing when he told me "We're not thinking people who happen to feel. We're feeling people who happen to think." I immediately told him to get out of my house! (He has since apologized and we play nicely now. *G*)

I'll be working graveyard Christmas weekend so I'll be keeping you company in the "I can't believe I'm working on the weekend" club.

{{hugs}}

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home