Sunday, February 27, 2005

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Thanks to the people who posted in my blog and a few that read my fertility journal, I am now scared to death that I have PCOS and am going to call my doctor tomorrow as well as a reproductive endocrinologist to see about testing. I know you all mean well, and I appreciate your kindness and consideration in bringing it to my attention since obviously it never occurred to me. I'll keep you posted on what happens. Yes, it's true that I do have some of the symptoms consistent with PCOS, such as weight problems, hair on my upper lip, and then of course, the ovarian cysts shown to me in my u/s that the tech thought were super fertile. But I've never had problems with my cycle EVER and obviously I didn't have trouble conceiving the first time we tried to get pregnant, so I don't know. My doctor never even mentioned that PCOS was a possibility, and I have to believe that she knows what she is doing, but then again, everyone seems to be of the opinion that ob/gyns don't have a lot of skill in diagnosing PCOS. I don't know.

Not much to report at the moment. Just charting, charting, charting, and trying to get pregnant naturally. PCOS could throw a wrench into that...we'll just have to see.

Work is going pretty good and the hourly thing I posted about earlier this month seems to have stabilized. I now have time to work out, read, stitch more, take care of myself, and watch movies. It's fantastic. I haven't really been blogging much or spending much time online because I've been busier with the domestic side of my life, and it's been nice.

One of my friends has recently become a Mary Kay consultant and I've been slowly switching my makeup over to MK as a result. Every time I see her, I am buying more nail polishes, eyeshadows, etcetera. Yesterday I had lunch with her and another friend and bought three eyeshadows, a mascara, two nail colors, and a tube of foot lotion. Plus, she gave me a ton of samples to try, so I'm sure I'll be buying more of it. It's great stuff! I love it so far!

I guess that's about it for now. We have some movies to watch today, and we're going to go out to lunch in a few minutes (a late lunch) and then I have tons of laundry to get started while I am stitching. That's about it for today.

More later.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sher said...

Erica,
Please don't let the fact that you could possibly have PCOS make you scared. It is very easily treated with medication. I was diagnosed as Insulin REsistant and put on Metformin (Glucophage) and the doctor said I probably have a milf form of PCOS. After reading the symptoms, I am so sure I do BUT, I know from charting that I do ovulate. So go figure that one. I did get pregnant too, like you. And I also miscarried, like you. BUT I am 40 years old. I don't know how much of a role, if any, my age played in that miscarriage.
I have also been told that Metformin, when taken before and during the first trimetster, can prevent miscarriages.
I know it is hard but try not to worry about it too much. See your doctor and let them make the diagnosis. And remember...it is treatable. :-)

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Erica. If you have any ?'s about PCOS, ask away in my journal @ LL, for I have it and while it is not easily treatable for everyone (I'm sorry, but that is an understatement), there's lots that can be done to help you achieve what you want, IF that's you are even diagnosed with it to begin with. Let's just keep hoping for the Fertile Myrtle scenario.

Miss ya @ LL.
Hugs,
Hula (Sid)

3:31 PM  
Blogger Autumn said...

I was also diagnosed with polycystic ovaries and low thyroid function and didn't have too much trouble getting pregnant. Worrying just makes it all so much worse! Make sure your doc gets a full panel blood test and checks ALL your levels, some doctors leave out some things and others other things. I've seen some amazing things coming out of maternal-fetal medicine lately. Best of luck to you!

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home