Monday, May 30, 2005

A Major Transformation of the Onion

When P and I decided to convert our weight and workout room to a nursery, we had no idea the project we were undertaking. It's like an onion...we just keep peeling back more and more layers to find more things to do.

The first step of course was to decide on the Finding Nemo decor and order the wallpaper border. The dresser, of course, is still a major work in progress with about half of the top of it stripped right now. (I still have not ordered the hardware.) Last weekend we went out and bought the paint in Balloon Blue and Star Command Blue with the bright idea of doing the top half in this light sky blue and the bottom half in the royal blue with a wave line. Then, the preparation began. I think that getting ready to paint always takes about ten times longer than the actual painting. We spent, it felt like, forever, cleaning the room up and moving crap out of it and emptying the closet. Then, P spent two or three days sanding the nasty crow's foot texture off the walls. THEN, Sunday we spent the day wiping down the walls, vaccuuming, and painting the ceiling and top half of the room. Today, we spent the day spending moolah at Home Depot and finding even more layers of the onion that we didn't know existed and painting the bottom half with the wave line in addition to painting our entire closet (which is harder than it looks). We would have put up the wallpaper border tonight, but the directions on the border said to wait 72 hours after painting, which puts us at...Wednesday. Blah. But never fear, we have lots of other onion preparation. We bought 60' of 2 1/2" baseboard which will be painted in Star Command Blue, cut to size and installed. We are painting the sill of the window, back of the door, and all other moldings plus the two bifold doors we just bought for the closet also in Star Command Blue. There is installing the new Finding Nemo fan blades. We also bought a wire closet organizer for the closet so I will have SOMEWHERE to put my baby stuff I've acquired so far. I bought a plain white shelf for my stuffed animal display. And, lastly, we have got to get that dresser ready to go. I told P we are NOT buying any baby furniture until that dresser is finished and sitting in the nursery. We even saw some awesome stain today at Home Depot that we want to use on it...it's called Island Blue and it's a streaky blue stain that looks VERY cool and will look great in the room.

And...look what I bought on Ebay last night. I was going to buy Finding Nemo ones, but I just honestly could not find any Finding Nemo ones that I liked, and I love these.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I bought one switchplate and four outlet covers. I can't wait to share pictures of the finished product, but right now we've still got a long way to go. I did look through my picture folder and I have a before picture I took of the workout room about a year ago, so that'll be fun to share before/after pictures.

We also came to a very sad realization when we were cleaning up the nursery. Our treadmill just will not fit in there. It's just not happening when you contemplate the fact that we're getting a crib, a changing table, and a rocker in addition to the dresser that we bought. Bye, bye, workout room, forever; hello, children's room. We have not decided to sell it just yet...but we are seriously contemplating it. It's in great condition, we've definitely gotten our money's worth out of it, and for Pete's sake, I have a membership at 24 Hour that is like five minutes away! So I'm not sure yet what we are going to do there. If we keep it in the house, we're going to have to do some serious rearranging of our bedroom, which I don't want to do, so I'm not sure yet what we will do. For now, it's going to go in the garage and I'll just have to drag my butt to the gym when I want to walk or take the dogs for a super duper long walk at night, which they would love anyway. So we'll see.

I did go see Revenge of the Sith last week and I LOVED it. I'm probably going to go see it again this weekend with a pal from work! Everything I wanted in the last Star Wars movie for sure, but for God's sake, could Natalie Portman have acted like she wanted to be there ANY LESS?

That's about it going on right now. I'm looking more and more pregnant every day. I'll take another belly shot in a week or so to share. I can't believe I'm going to be four months along on Friday. The time is flying!

2 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

YAY you're doing the nursery!!! It sounds like quite the project. I can't wait to see the finished pictures!

5:56 AM  
Blogger Jill in CA said...

I can't wait to see pictures when you finish the nursery! Oh, and like Sharon we never had a changing table either.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home