Sunday, May 08, 2005

No longer a twenty-something!

I can't believe I am now officially thirty years old. *sigh* I don't feel thirty. A big part of me still feels like I am 21!

I wrote the Sunday Brunch just for birthdays...so I'm going to do it.

1) What is your birthday, what time were you born, what astrological sign are you, and what city and state were you born in? I was born on May 7, 1975. I think I was born around 3 am. I am a Taurus, and I was born in Ithaca, New York.
2) Are there any famous events or famous people that share your special day? About the most interesting people that share my birthday are Johnny Unitas, Eva Peron, and Tchaikovsky. I thought the latter was particularly interesting considering that the Nutcracker is my favorite ballet.
3) What did you do to celebrate your last birthday? Yesterday I slept late (super late) and then went to my in-laws for a Mother's Day luncheon. Then, last night P and I went to Boi Na Braza with two other couples for a Brazilian feast. Afterwards, I just couched and watched television. It was a very relaxing day.
4) What is your best birthday celebration that you can remember? When I was sixteen, my parents gave me a Sweet Sixteen pool party with all of my friends. It was fantastic.
5) What is the best birthday present you have ever received? I honestly can't remember! Memory of a gnat and all that.

I got a card yesterday from my best friend S insinuating that when you are starting to be called, "ma'am" that means you are old. Ha. Not in Texas. I've been called "ma'am" ever since I moved here nine years ago. But this past week I had a "you're old" encounter with a girl at work. We were talking about my pregnancy and whether or not I was going to find out the sex. Here's the conversation:

L: Yeah, when my mom was pregnant with me, she felt that she was having a girl, and found out that she was.
E: Did they have ultrasounds when you were born for that purpose? When my mom was pregnant with me, they didn't.
L: How old are you?
E: I'll be thirty on Saturday.

L: Yeah, you're old.
E: *laughs hysterically* Excuse me? How old are you?
L: Twenty-seven.
E: OOOH. A whole three years younger!
**Both E and L crack up**

It was a purely innocent conversation and didn't bother me in the least, but I found it funny that she considered me old and I am only three years older than her!

I got some nice gifts. My dad and stepmom sent a check (thank you!) that I plan to use on some maternity clothes, one of my friends bought me Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy (a reality check for pregnant women that I read in one night), and my other friend (the dinner pals) got me some perfume. And I got a bunch of cards, including one very basic, generic one from my mother, so at least she remembered. It was a nice birthday.

I feel pretty good right now although still very tired. This tiredness is seriously cutting into my stitching time! Grrr! And klutzy me...I tripped on the DSL cord in my office and broke my left smallest toe. It hurt like the dickens the first night, and now it's not really hurting, but it's several shades of blue and purple, it's swollen, and I have not ventured to try to put it in a closed-toe shoe yet. I've been wearing slip-on sandals since it happened, and I plan to wear them all week until the swelling goes down.

Today is dresser day. We are equipped with some really high-powered furniture stripper that is supposed to dissolve wood furniture finish in about fifteen minutes, so P's going to use that and see what happens. We have semi-gloss white paint that we are going to use, and one of my tasks for today is to figure out what handles I want to put on the thing. I have that website of course, but I need to figure out what handles I want from that selection. It's going to be great. My Finding Nemo border STILL has not arrived, so I can't select any paint. P agreed that we can do the walls different colors, so that'll be fun when we get to the store.

I also need maternity clothes. The two pairs of dress pants I bought at the beginning of my pregnancy in the next size up (the ones that were so loose) are now very snug and tight in the tum, and it's time to just bite the bullet and go get some that I can grow into. At least now I don't feel so bad about it since I'm officially in my second trimester now.

Well, I guess that's all I've got for now. I'm going to go see if I can drag P out of bed, and then walk the dogs. I still have that baby diatribe to write about one day...the one that was inspired by my discussion with my sisters in law last weekend, but I'll save that for another day. I'm sure it'll inspire MANY commenters to chime in, so I'll try to get to that this week if I can. I also have another one on dogs (strays and other things) but I don't have the energy to write about that today. Another day, another day.

A friend sent me a card yesterday to remind me that this will be my last birthday without sticky fingers in the cake. Yes. That's true. It's also my last Mother's Day without a child. Next year, I'll be celebrating this along with all of you mothers out there.

To all of you mothers reading this, happy Mother's Day. Enjoy your special day and remember that you have the toughest job out there!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erica,

I for one think you should be told Happy Mother's Day Too because you ARE a mom! Congratulations!

Elaine

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home